Emergency Action Plan
Teams must provide their own medical supplies and plan to do their own taping. There will be a qualified First Aid Practitioner available at all times, but there will not be a trainer. First Aid will be located just outside the gym in Room 142. The location can be identified by a pop-up flag in the hallway. Ice will be available upon request. Hospitals in the area include those in Lloydminster (approx. 50 km), Wainwright (approx. 56 km) and Vermilion (approx. 75 km) in the event of an emergency.
E.H. Walter School
310 Park Ave., Paradise Valley, AB
Fire, Police, and Ambulance 911
Lloydminster Hospital 780-842-3324
3820 43 Ave., Lloydminster SK
Wainwright Health Centre 780-842-3324
530 6 Ave., Wainwright AB
Vermilion Health Centre 780-853-5305
5720 50 Ave., Vermilion AB
EMERGENCY ACTION PLAN (EAP)
Please follow and respect the policies and procedures of this Emergency Action Plan (EAP)
While E.H. Walter School does everything possible to prevent injuries and accidents at the school, there is still potential for serious accident and injury in any athletic event. If a serious injury occurs, time becomes critical. Subsequently, the implementation of this EAP must be adhered to while in attendance at E.H. Walter School events.
Person in Charge:
* Administrator in Charge - Mr. Bruce Pugh or Mrs. Darci MacMillan
* Tournament Chairs - Mr. Calvin Anhorn and Mr. Bruce Pugh
* Teacher Supervisors - Various staff at E.H. Walter School
* Custodian in Charge - Josh
First person on scene of accident:
* Assess injury status of a player (particularly head and/or spinal injuries).
* Contact Person in Charge as soon as possible.
* If an ambulance and paramedics are required the Person in Charge will call 911 if he/she deems it necessary and it hasn’t been done yet.
* Person in Charge will take control of an emergency situation until a medical authority arrives.
* Document the events of the accident and file a written report if necessary.
Calling Person in Charge:
* Call Person in Charge (Administrator, Tournament Co-Chair, Teacher Supervisor or Teacher at score table) is responsible for making the 911 telephone call. Teacher supervisors and Teacher at score table are required to have a cell phone on their person while attending an athletic event.
* Stay in constant communication with the medical provider and the Person in Charge.
* Contact Tournament Chair. Tournament Chair is responsible for having his/her cell phone number available to the call Person in Charge.
* Assist the Person in Charge with the filing of Accident Report if requested.
* The Teacher supervisor and/or other Teachers at the score table are responsible for controlling the crowd and other participants.
* After the area is secured and controlled, the Teacher supervisor will act as the guide for emergency personnel outside of the building to ensure expedient access to the victim.
* Seek highly trained medical personnel in the building if the Person in Charge believes the injury is serious and cannot wait for emergency assistance to arrive.
* In consultation with the Person in Charge, Tournament Chair (if necessary) and game Officials the continuation of play will be determined.
AED: located at the north entrance of the gymnasium near the concession.
First Aid Kits: located at the Main office and on-site in the gymnasium.
Fire Extinguishers: Fire extinguishers are located in the main atrium to the right of the main doors when entering the school as well as beside the AED just outside of the main gymnasium doors. There are four extinguishers located in the gymnasium, which can be found in each of the four corners by the exits.
Phone: located in main office or staffroom/coaches/volunteers room near the concession entrance. This phone can be used only in case of an emergency and you must dial “9” to get an outside line.
Note - Escape routes and evacuation procedures can be found near entrances to the gymnasium. Alternatively, each classroom will have escape routes posted at their main entrances.
Lockdown: In the event of a lockdown, please proceed to the nearest lockable room and remain there until instructed to come out by a school administrator or Tournament Co-Chair.