Emergency Action Plan
Each school will have a trained first aid person on site.
An AED (Automated External Defibrilator) is located in the front lobby of Immanuel Christian Secondary School.
Emergency Action Plan
In the event of an emergency the facilities manager or first on site will contact 9-1-1. First Aid kits will be located in the PE office at each location.
When an injury occurs:
- 1. Initially, when coming in contact with the injured student athlete, take control and assess the situation. Exercise universal precautions related to blood/body fluids.
- 2. Keep in mind the following - DO NOT move the injured student athlete.
- a. If a student athlete cannot move by him/herself, do not move the body part for him/her.
- 3. Instruct any bystanders to leave the injured student alone.
- 4. Do not remove the student athlete’s equipment unless emergency treatment is required e.g. CPR or artificial respiration.
- 5. Assess the injury; evaluate the severity of the injury and decide if further assistance is required.
- 6. If an ambulance is not needed, then decide what action is to be taken to remove the injured student athlete from the playing surface.
- 7. If an ambulance is required: request assistance from another person by having this person call an ambulance with the all relevant information (nature of emergency, precise location, telephone number of location) and have them report back to you with estimated time of arrival, then send them to the access entrance to wait for the ambulance.
- 8. Once the call has been placed, observe the injured student athlete carefully for any change in condition and try to reassure the injured student until professional help arrives.
- 9. Do not provide the injured student athlete with food or drink, unless otherwise indicated by situation e.g. diabetes, hydration…
- 10. Stay calm and speak reassuringly.
- 11. When ambulance arrives, describe incident and what has been done.
- 12. An adult should be designated to accompany the injured student athlete to the hospital to help and document steps taken to treat the injury.
- 13. The parent/guardian of the injured student athlete must be contacted as soon as possible after the injury.
- 14. Complete any necessary incident/accident reports and file with appropriate school administrator.