Modifications to Season
It is still too early to speculate on whether or not Spring championships will proceed as normal or with modifications to format and/or season. The ASAA board has granted the Executive Committee the authority (with majority zone approval) to modify seasons of play and they reserve the right to adjust the season as needed.
On November 20th it was announced that the viability of running a Provincial Badminton will be assessed on April 7, 2021
Modifications to Event Format
There are still many unknowns with regard to spring championships, however badminton as an event lends itself to being able to run with minimal potential modifications to the event format. In a survey to ASAA member schools and coaches, the mandate was clear that our membership does not want to see wholesale changes to any sports. However in the context of Badminton, the following minor adjustments will be considered at the provincial level:
- Potentially cancelling the opening ceremony, banquet or other gatherings
In-School Safety Protocols
- Minimize contact between coaches and athletes.
- Sanitize all equipment before and after practice.
- Apply hand sanitizer immediately before and after all matches
- Prioritize singles over doubles.
- Coaches should practice physical distancing/wear a mask wherever possible
- No shared equipment.
Strategies to stay engaged in Badminton in your school
If interschool play is not an option due to provincial restrictions on travel, there is an opportunity to increase participation in badminton by involving your whole school in intramural play at your school (provided cohort limits are followed).