Modifications to Season
It is still too early to speculate on whether or not Spring championships will proceed as normal or with modifications to format and/or season. The ASAA board has granted the Executive Committee the authority (with majority zone approval) to modify seasons of play and they reserve the right to adjust the season as needed.
Modifications to Event Format
In a survey to ASAA member schools and coaches, the mandate was clear that our membership does not want to see wholesale changes to any sports. However in the context of Volleyball, it may be possible to proceed with a modified format that could include the following:
- Limits on spectators attending provincial championship
- Limits on number of players/personnel who can be on the bench and travel with team.
- potential modification to number of teams attending provincials
- Potential “virtual” competition with teams performing from their own home gym and livestreaming provincials remotely.
In-School Safety Protocols
- Minimize contact between coaches and athletes.
- Sanitize mats and equipment before, during, and after practice.
- Apply hand sanitizer immediately before and after all exercises/routines in practice.
Strategies to stay engaged in Cheerleading in your school
- Consider alternative fitness activities that can keep your athletes engaged. For example push-up or sit-up challenges, individual stunting routines, etc…
- Consider participating in virtual clinics/training sessions put on by Alberta Cheer Association/Cheer Canada