Modifications to Season
The ASAA board has granted the Executive Committee the authority (with majority zone approval) to modify seasons of play. As per the ASAA’s August 13th release, all fall championships including Cross Country have been postponed until a point where GoA guidelines permit them.
On August 11th it was announced that the start of the Season of Play has been delayed to September 1, 2020.
On November 20th it was announced that the provincial date for Cross Country had been postponed to May 28-29, 2021.
Modifications to Event Format
In a survey to ASAA member schools and coaches, the mandate was clear that our membership does not want to see wholesale changes to any sports. However in the context of cross country, the following minor adjustments can be considered at the provincial level.
- Consideration for masking at starting line, with masks to be removed at a certain point once distancing can be achieved.
- Possibility of expanding the event to multiple days.
- Restriction of spectators.
- Other modifications as deemed necessary
In-School Safety Protocols
- When training maintain 2m physical distancing.
- Send runners off in time trials rather than starting all at once
- Other steps as prescribed by local and provincial bodies.
Strategies to stay engaged in Cross Country in your school
Encourage participation in “virtual” races. Utilize apps such as Strava to encourage and track participation.