As the governing body for high school sport in Alberta, ASAA holds the responsibility for the sanctioning of high school sporting events that involve its member schools.
Sanctioning is required under the following situations:
- Invitation to a tournament involves one or more teams from out of Province
- When an ASAA member school travels to an out of Province and/or an out of Country event in the activities of the ASAA
- When a non-ASAA member institution or organization wishes to host a high school event in one or more of the activities of the ASAA
Schools can compete in ASAA sanctioned out of Province events in ASAA activities. If you do not find the event listed in the ASAA tournament listings, please contact the host of the event to follow the procedure to get their event sanctioned. Once sanctioned the school wishing to attend needs to complete the “Permission to Travel Form” at least 30 days prior to their event. Failure to complete this form at least 30 days prior to travel will result in a $200 late “Travel Permission” fee.
Q: Can my team and I attend events that are not sanctioned by the ASAA?
A: No. If an event requires sanctioning and the event host fails to obtain sanctioning, ASAA member schools can not participate at that event.
Q: Whose responsibility is it to obtain sanctioning?
A: It is the responsibility of the event host to apply for sanctioning. We ask that all sanctioning requests are received at least 30 days prior to the event. A $200 late sanctioning fee will be assessed to the host school or institution, if sanction form is not submitted in time.
Instructions for Sanctioning:
To obtain sanctioning you need to complete the following steps:
- Ensure that your event is in accordance with all ASAA bylaws and policies, including meeting all requirements for interschool competition and invitational events.
- Complete the appropriate sanction form and submit at least 30 days prior to your event. A $200 late sanctioning fee will be assessed to the host school or institution, if sanction form is not submitted on time.
- Await confirmation from the ASAA office that your event is sanctioned. Note that all sanctioned events will be posted on the ASAA website under “Tournament Listings”.
Submit all forms via online submission.
Permission to Travel Form
To be used by schools travelling to competitions out of Alberta
Alberta Host Sanction Form
To be used by ASAA member schools who are hosting an event that includes school teams from out of Alberta
2-Part Process: 1st download and complete the hard copy (found here) Part 2 Alberta Host Sanction Form
2nd complete the online request uploading your hard copy into the tournament details section
Non-Educational Member Sanction Form
To be used by non-ASAA member institutions or organizations (example: universities) wanting to host events in an ASAA activity where Alberta high school teams are invited
Cheerleading Only - Non-School Entity Sanction Form/AB Host Form
In the sport of cheelrleading only, this form is to be used by non-school entities (cheer companies, clubs, event producers etc.) wanting to host cheerleading competitions. Click on the Cheerleading Sanctioning Flow Chart for more information on Cheerleading Sanctioned events.